Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Party Time.

It's July 23rd and approaching is my three-month anniversary, and with it my first considerable break from working-- one whole beautiful week capped by two lovely weekends. Koreans don't get a whole lot of time off. The kids go to school all year... I haven't had the guts to tell my students about the three months American kids get off every year.

I won't see another break until Christmas, so for now it's--



Below are some images of my first baseball game here. We paid a few bucks to go root for the Doosan Bears as they took on.. the.. I don't know I'm lazy and can't read Korean yet. The Bears won anyway.
This couple came and stood next to us outside before the game and as soon as the staring became obvious the guy came up to me to ask if his girlfriend could take a picture with me. I said I would do it if they took a picture with me, so here is that one. I told him I was from Pittsburgh and liked his hat (it's eerie how many Buccos hats I see here). As they walked away he turned around and thrust his fist in the air and said, "handsome!" And I about lost my mind right then.









This is the Olympic Stadium. They built it when Seoul hosted the Olympics in 1988 and I hope they still use it.






The stadium wasn't as empty as it looks.. The cheap section, where we were, was absolutely packed full of screaming maniacs. Check out the video below-- that never stopped.









Here are some more pictures of little kids.







Jack is in 2nd grade. He doesn't have much of an attention span but he is one of the funniest people I have ever met. He always meets me before class and carries my stuff and asks me how I am doing on a scale from 1 to 100. When I give them their graded tests back he usually tries to haggle a better grade. He asks about my apartment alot and once drew me a picture of a house for my birthday, which is in April. Then, he asked me when my Mom's birthday was and drew her a house too.


Ryan. Ryan hates Thomas. I don't have any pictures of Thomas because he wasn't there that day and I'm not too crazy about him myself.























Jack got a hold of my camera.























Annie and Buzz kind of like each other.

















Brian, Kate, Jessica.










Kevin.

Panda class: Julie, Jack, Elly, Daniel, Philip, Peter, Ryan, Alex. Missing is Dean. These guys are ROUGH but I love them because of it.

Julie fell asleep on my lap during video time.

Jack, Ryan, Tony falling for the old "pose for a video" trick.

I have a lot more to tell you, but-- next time. Those of you who are waiting for letters and postcards and... birthday presents (Mom) all I can say is be patient. Let this blog be enough for now and I will try to do some handwriting on my break. And by the way if you want a postcard, I don't care if you are a stranger reading this, send me an address and you shall have one. Simple as that. Just be patient with me.

Everybody okay?

Okay bye.

4 comments:

The Packet Man said...

That fist-pump story...wow....wow.

This is Cunningham, by the way.

Unknown said...

"Handsome" *dies*

send me some rocks for sure. They don't have to be pretty, I will make them that way :)

~Dani

Caitlin said...

Hey, I'm Caitlin, aka Caitlin Teacher (I left the school in March)... your blog's great, I'd fully intended on making one while I was there but laziness and Pizza School won out :D

It's awesome seeing the kids in your pics- how are you going with Phillip? That kid killed me! I had Sylvia, Sophia, Edward, Lina, Jimmy, Kevin, Grace and that crowd, was good times :D

Abby said...

That video of the 'picture/video fake-out' almost made me cry I miss you so much.

First of all, it was hilarious.

Second of all, it reminded me of the man himself, E. Chase, and that night of the best video fake-outs of all time. You should get those kids drunk; they will be putty in your digital camera hands.

Third of all, it was just ...you. Being sweet and easy-going with those stupidly adorable kids.

Anyway, thanks for these blogs. Let's exchange addresses ok?